demicode again

Hi. It’s been a while. This site has been down for many month; ever since I got fed up with all the spam my previous wordpress installation was getting. It was installed on a google VPS, for which I payed per CPU time. 99% of the traffic was spam, and I didn’t much feel like paying google for handling that. Instead I got a normal VPS at a different provider where I pay a flat fee each month.

Hello C64

The Commodore 64 was one of the first computers I played around with. I never had one myself until recent years, but a friend of mine had one and we good times play games on his little breadbox. So I have been looking forward do learn more about the hardware of the C64. Before we jump into the code, let me just say that I started with the code a few years ago, but I was stumped by some erratic behaviour of the system.

Hello Sega Mega Drive

After a long absence, I’m back with a long overdue post about the Sega Mega Drive. The code itself was completed over 4 years ago, so my memory of it is a bit hazy. I have however been writing new MegaDrive code recently so this is the perfect time to finally write this post. The Sega Mega Drive (MD) is based on the Motorola 68000 CPU and its graphics chip (VDP) is a more advanced version of the VDP in the Sega Master System.

Atari hardware project idea

A few days ago, I started thinking about how difficult it’s becoming to find a good monitor for my Atari, especially one that I can easily bring with me on demo parties and such. Then it occurred to me that my CosmosEx that is mounted inside the ST have a Raspberry Pi inside it, with both an HDMI and a composite video out. What it also have is a high speed connector for camera hardware, capable of streaming HD video in realtime.

demicode on twitch!

I recently got the idea to stream some of my programming sessions on twitch, and yesterday I created a twitch account for this purpose. I don’t know if there ever will be a real schedule, but I’ll try to stream as often and regularly as I can. The current project I’m coding on the stream is a new game for the Atari STe that I got inspired to do the past weekend.

Hello Game Boy

This post has been postponed for a very long time. I started writing it almost 3 years ago, but due to a bug in the code I never got to finish it. When I was done with the Atari 8bit post, I started looking at this code again to find out what was wrong. The issue was found and fixed so now I present you with Hello World for Game Boy.

Hello Atari XE

Time for a new CPU, and what better way to get starting with the 6502 that with the 8 bit computers from Atari. Sure, you might say that C64 or even NES would be more obvious platforms, but not for me. I am Atari to the bone, and despite C64 being more popular in some parts of the world, I don’t own one. I do own an Atari 130 XE though, and I recently purchased an SIO2SD device from Lotharek which enables me to actually test my code on the real thing.

Summer activities

Hey, I made a couple of Atari ST intros this summer. First up was Bacon, which was released at Sommarhack 2015. I started to plan it when there was still snow outside, but I did almost all of the coding the during the week before the party. The release was thrown together for High Coast Hack in Härnösand four weeks later. As I had participated with an intro the last to years, I wanted to have something this year as well.

Work in progress

This blog has not seen much action lately, but my coding has been more or less constant. There are code for a few more platforms in my Hello World project, and a few month ago I started writing some code for a SEGA Mega Drive game. It’s no secret that the SMD are one of the platforms that now have a Hello World implementation. I just need to take time to finish up a blog post about it.

Hello Gameboy Advance

Last weekend while digging around on one of my USB sticks, I found some old test code I wrote for the GBA over 10 years ago. I though the files were lost forever, so I was quite happy that I found them. The code itself was written in an obscure assembler for Windows, so my first goal was to port it to a more modern tool that preferably could cross assemble on both my PC and Mac.